Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Vagina Monologues - Reclaiming Cunt

I did it! I stood up in front of hundreds of people and I performed.

I arrived early and watched as my costars rehearsed. They were on.
I, on the other hand, was terrified. What if I froze? Stuttered, or passed out?


I sat in the front row of the 300 person theater and listened to the chatter of the crowd. I saw other people look back at the crowd and react nervously but I never looked. I figured if the lights were on the stage and not the crowd, I would not know for sure how many people I was performing for until it was over and would therefore not be as frightened.
(This actually sort of worked.)

I watched in awe as each monologue was performed. These women were so talented and beautiful and I was honored to be among them.

Then, it was my turn.


I stood up and looked out at the crowd. Fortunately, I could only really see the first two rows. The butterflies in my stomach went mad and flew out of my mouth, but they did so in loud, strong projections. I said every line I could remember, and tried not to visibly cringe when I realized I had missed a few. Before I knew it, the audience was screaming with me.

"Cunt! Cunt! Cunt!"

And just like that, it was over. I had done it.
Item number 1 on my "40 Before 40" list was complete!


I am not allowed to post a video of my performance, as it is a living script.
In its place, I will leave you with a script of my piece.

We’ve created a map of Vagina Friendly Cities!!  Welcome, Birmingham, to UAB's production of The Vagina Monologues. You know, they are wild for vaginas in Pittsburgh. In fact, a woman from Pittsburgh was obsessed with a particular word, a pejorative word used to describe the vagina.  Her mission was to reconceive the word.
...
I call it...cunt.
I’ve reclaimed it.

Cunt

I really like it.  

Cunt.
Listen to it.  
Cunt.
C-C.  Ca Ca.  
Cavern.

Cackle.

Clit. 
Cute, come-closed c
Closed inside, inside ca-

then u

then c-u

then curvy, inviting sharkskin u
uniform, under, up, urge, (moaning) ugh, ugh, 
U

then n 

then c-u-n

snug letters fitting perfectly together
nest, now, nexus, nice, nice, 
always depth, always round in upper case, 
cun, cun
-n 
a jagged wicked electrical pulse-n (high pitched noise) 

then soft n-warm n
cun, cun,

then t 

— then sharp certain tangy t — 

texture, 
take, 
tent, 
tight, 
tantalizing, 
tensing, 
taste, 
tendrils, 
time, 
tactile, 
TELL ME!

tell me “Cunt"

say it!
"Cunt! Cunt! Cunt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment